JUSTICE & POLICE MUSEUM VISIT
On the 11 September, as part of our Annual Fathers Day outing the Cruising Club were taken on a guided tour of theJustice & PoliceMuseumat Circular Quay. The Museum comprises of three buildings: theWater Police Court(1856) Water Police Station (1858) and Police Court (1886). These buildings were built in the style of many other court houses in the colony using local sandstone quarried from Bennelong Point.
The buildings were restored and refurbished to the 1890s period before being reopened to the public as a museum in 1991.
The highlight of the tour was a visit to Police Court. We were taken through a typical trial and asked to occupy the court room seating as it would have been used in the 1800. The prisoner/s were held in a caged area in the centre of the court. The judge in the front on a high wooden bench and jurors seated to the right of the bench.
There are a number of interesting exhibitions ranging from confiscated criminal weapons, forensic archives and bushrangers.
With so many displays that a second visit would be in order to appreciate all the history of policing and crime inNew South Wales.